FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST CONGREGATIONAL, UCC
12 South Main Street
West Hartford, CT 06107
Substitute Teacher, First Church Academy for Young Children
Under the supervision of and reporting to the Lead Teacher, the Substitute Teacher will assist the classroom staff in providing a warm, nurturing, safe and loving environment where the child’s self-concepts are enhanced, independence encouraged and individuality respected. The Substitute Teacher will follow procedures outlined in the First Church Academy for Young Children (FCAYC) Staff Manual and adhere to the First Church Academy for Young Children (FCAYC) Code of Ethics. This is an hourly position based on school needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check in with the classroom teacher/staff to review the substitute folder to ascertain schedule of the day, number of children and specific responsibilities not listed in the general substitute folder.
- Follow instructions given by the classroom staff.
- Provide the children with a safe, loving and nurturing environment.
- Meet the children’s individual needs in all areas – physical, emotional, social and intellectual according to their appropriate developmental level.
- Carry out developmentally appropriate and positive discipline as established by the Lead Teacher, while focusing on encouraging positive behavior.
- Function in and help build a supportive team.
- Maintain a room arrangement that is clean, safe, inviting, interesting and stimulating.
- Assist in child and group observation and in daily record keeping for the classroom.
- May use positive disciplining of a child without informing Lead Teacher as soon as possible.
- Must inform Lead Teacher before taking children to playground or other areas within the building, when calling parents about a sick child, and discussing child’s activity with a parent.
- Must inform Lead Teacher immediately after rendering first aid.
- Be sensitive and responsive to parents and act as a resource to them, in consultation with the Lead Teacher.
- Keep child and family information confidential for classroom use only. Do not share with other families or staff not involved with care for that child.
- Add specific information regarding each child to the daily sheets.
- Take direction from staff inside the classroom in regard to questions about procedures, location/use of materials or other classroom concerns.
- Take direction from other staff (Lead Teacher, if available) on the playground.
- Perform other Duties as Assigned by the Lead Teacher
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of Child Development Associate (CDA) or Associate’s Degree in Early Childhood Education or Elementary Education.
- At least one year’s experience working with infants/toddlers or preschool aged children, preferably in an organized program.
- Ability to relate joyfully and sensitively to children.
- Ability to accept the individual developmental stages of the young children within the classroom.
- Must have evidence of emotional maturity and stability and the confidence and judgment to handle crisis situations.
- Be dependable and punctual.
- Must meet all state licensing requirements including fingerprinting for a background check and a medical report which indicates staff is in good health and able to work with young children.
- Must be able to safely lift 40 pounds.
- Must be able to assume postures in low level positions that best allow physical and visual contact with children.
- Must be able to bend to perform various tasks numerous times throughout the day.
- Must be able to easily accompany children in the building and outdoors for distances of several hundred yards per day at a reasonable pace.
All staff members of First Church Academy for Young Children (FCAYC) are employees of First Church of Christ Congregational, and are obligated to work in accordance with the church’s recommendations, practices, policies and procedures as may be revised from time to time.
This position description is intended to convey information essential to a general understanding of the scope and nature of the job, but it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Contact Dawne Quinn for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.