We recently started a curbside pickup service for patrons during the pandemic. Here’s how it works:
- Search our collection online here.
- Email us the title and author of the item(s) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are also happy to provide book recommendations and basic reference services. Just send your query to the above email address and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Due dates will be approximately one week after we reopen. However, items also can be returned on curbside pickup days.
- No email address? You can call the library at 860-232-3893 with your request, but please be aware that we are not actually present in the library and are checking phone messages only once per day.
- Currently, pickup is Monday afternoon at 5 p.m. at the back entrance of the church. Please drive up to the rotunda entrance and the materials will be brought to your car. We can place them in your trunk or through an open car window.
About the Library
First Church’s John P. Webster Library (JPWL) is open to all who would like to explore our collection of religious and spiritual resources – a diverse collection of over 12,000 religious and secular materials, including biographies, contemporary literature, poetry, history, sociology, and wellness resources as well as books on faith, spirituality, and religion. We offer audiobooks, DVDs, and a welcoming Children’s Section that contains books on families, nature, relationships, culture, and more. The JPWL houses the faith formation collection of the CT United Church of Christ, formerly known as the Ruth Dudley Resource Center; we encourage faith leaders from throughout the Southern New England Conference of the United Church of Christ and beyond to visit us and browse the shelves of children’s and adult education resources.
The library was established through a bequest from Florence Sidette Crofut and named in honor of Rev. John P. Webster, pastor of First Church from 1956 – 1976. At the library’s dedication in 1978, Rev. Webster said that he hoped the library would become a place of acceptance – “the House of the Word,” where patrons of all ages and backgrounds would find inspiration for their faith journeys. We look forward to welcoming you!
- Online Catalog
- Book Group Kits available for group use
- Awakening the Spirit book discussion (each Monday)
- Food for Thought book discussion (first Thursday of each month)
- Special programs
- First Church of Christ Archives
- Free WiFi
Sunday 9 am – 12 pm
Monday 9 am – 5 pm
Tuesday 9 am – 5 pm
Wednesday 9 am – 5 pm
Thursday 9 am – 5 pm
Friday & Saturday Closed
Jennifer deSimas, Director
Karla Grafton, Assistant Librarian